The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Birthday Weekend Recap

It was pandalerium, y'all! (If you've never seen Jeff Foxworthy's "You Might Be a Redneck" skits, you won't get the significance of "pandalerium" ... carry on.) I had the most eventful, exhausting weekend EVER! Of course, it all started Friday. After I left work, I picked up Sarai and took her home to hang out with me for a bit. I showered and washed my hair and got dressed - when Vic got home from work he showered and changed, then we dropped off Sarai and headed to Federal Hill. It took quite a bit of time to find a parking space - thankfully, we discovered a garage a few blocks up and around the corner. As we walked toward Three Kings we passed the place where I used to get my nails done (Light Street Nails) back when I was in high school and thought having long, drag queen acrylic nails was the move! We also passed Cross Street Market, which has the best donuts in all of Charm City. I have to remind myself to do downtown with Sarai one day - take her to see the sights like the Science Center and the Aquarium and take a ride on the carousel and make sure that we get Cross Street Market donuts before we go home. When we got to Three Kings, the only folks there were Tonyette and Crystal (who was rockin' the red 'fro, BTW - you go, Crystal!), but others came quite quickly. It was a good crowd of us - a mixture of the various aspects of my life: the Kallisti girls, friends from church, friends from school (middle and high), family (Hi, Poopie!) and new friends. At one point, the party was quite segregated - all the Black folks were sitting at one table and all those of a lighter hue sitting at another. You know that didn't work with me - I demanded that the party be integrated, posthaste! Thanks to Brookie for being the first one to wade in the deeper side of the color pool! Once we got all cafe au lait, the fun really began! Lucy was freakin' awesome, of course. She wore 3 (or 4?) fabulous costumes that I drooled over and now covet, particularly this dark blue one with a diaphanous scarf thingy that draped from it. Crystal cried while watching Lucy dance, which proves that I am not the only crybaby who does that. Vic actually enjoyed himself (!) and was only too happy to watch me dance with the Egyptian cooks, since he had no intention of dancing himself. Even Ericka got into the dance action for a bit! It was fun to improvise with Brooke and watch Nora shake a tail feather. We stayed 'til the wee hours and had an absolute blast! The lovely Lucy will be dancing there again on the 15th and we will be back! And if you go ... try the schwarma, it's divine! Saturday, I was barely able to crawl out of bed, but finally made it to the family picnic around 2 PM (it started at noon). Everything went well all day, 'til the men decided that it would be a good idea to play softball. I just knew that wasn't going to end well ... it didn't. My cousin and his father wound up running into each other head-first. My uncle's eight front teeth were knocked out, he split his tongue, and bit a hole in his lip. My cousin had a head wound. My aunt fell to her knees upon seeing her husband and son laying on the ground, in the middle of a puddle of blood, sprinkled with teeth. The youngest son took off running and crying because he was so distraught. Once again, it was pandalerium ... and not the fun kind. Here come the paramedics. The son goes to one hospital, the father to another. Thankfully, my cousin was tested and treated and released after a couple of hours. His father had to go to shock trauma and get a CAT scan and have his tongue stitched. I saw them both yesterday and they're doing fine. My uncle's tongue is swollen and he has a massive headache, of course, but it could have been much worse. He's a man who never believed in GOD, but when the chaplain came to his hospital bed and asked him if he wanted her to pray for him, he said "yes". Hmm ... why is it that folks suddenly "find GOD" when they're in trouble? Anyway, I went back to their house and helped cart all the leftover food and then stayed around, waiting for updates on their conditions. When we got the final word that all was well, we left, but not before my Aunt Lynette decided there were intruders in the house and had armed three of us with baseball bats, one with a golf club, and one with an unopened bottle of wine, in case we needed to whup somebody's ass. Sunday, I could not get out of bed for church, needless to say. I lolled around, doing much of nothing, until 2 PM, when I had to go to a photo shoot for the LIFE Ministry. It was hot in that house! It was fun, though. Sarai was really good and very patient and got rewarded with her own picture, which made her quite happy. We just hung out as a family for the rest of the day. Monday, we all had breakfast together. Vic left for work and Sarai and I took a nap together. My father called and let me know that he wanted to pick Sarai up to hang out with him and his two stepgranddaughters, so I packed a bag for her and dropped her off at my mom's. Then, I went to the spa for my day of beauty ... ahhh!!! I tell you, should you ever decide to go to Spa in the Valley, please ask for Shelly. That girl gives a massage, body polish and facial like you have never seen, do you hear me??? Then, I had a luxurious mani and pedi in the company of my dear Poopie, followed by a yummy dinner at Noodles and Company. Daddy called to tell me that Sarai decided she didn't want to come home, so she spent the night there and I went home to Vic. I was hoping for some "We have no child in the house!" nookie, but we wound up having an argument instead ... boo. Yesterday, I went to Columbia Mall and headed to the Bobbi Brown counter in Nordstrom to try out the new Chocolate Collection. Delectable. Then off to Sephora to spend my birthday GC - got two POP Beauty Ribbon Glosses and an Urban Decay glittery body powder that smells and tastes like honey ... yummy! I went to pick up Sarai and hung out with my dad, stepmother and nieces for a bit, then we went to my aunt's and hung out there. I got to see both my uncle and my cousin and they're doing fine. My cousin was out and about and my uncle was up and talking, but clearly in a lot of pain. So now ... here I am. Back at work. Oh, the joy. I can't believe it ... for the first time, I was actually looking forward to coming to work ... so I could get some rest!


At July 05, 2006 12:48 PM, Anonymous Londa said...

There really are no words to follow all that :o) I'm glad you had a joyful birthday.

At July 05, 2006 10:44 PM, Blogger Ericka said...

The life you lead, Toya. 28 is grand, ain't it?! Best wishes all year!


At July 06, 2006 7:34 AM, Blogger sparkles anonymous! said...

It was an honor performing for you, babe. :) I'm so glad you had fun!


At July 06, 2006 10:14 AM, Anonymous rachel said...

sounds awesome! you deserve it. xox


Post a Comment

<< Home