The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Something stinks on The View

So, last week, during List Friday, I talked about the shows I would never want to star in. One of my picks was The View, for my belief that I would wind up slapping either Star Jones, Rosie O'Donnell, or both. This week, my mind has changed. I still wouldn't want to star on The View, but it's no longer because of Star, because, whoops! Star is no longer one of the stars. However, I do think both Rosie and Barbara might cause my slapping hand to tremble. Star Jones has never been one of my favorite people and she still isn't. She can really get on my ever lovin' last nerve. But the way she's been treated recently is just ... wrong. It's what Angie Stone would call "roach." This is straight gutter behavior. Rosie O'Donnell has been talking about Star willy-nilly in the press and, to Star's credit, she hasn't publicly responded. Now, I tend to believe that Star had gastric bypass surgery to shed all those pounds and that she's actually lost too much weight at this point, but you know what? It's really not any of my business, nor is it any of Rosie's. For real? She could stand to drop more than a few! It's interesting to me that, Ms. Walters, who we all know has quite a bit of power and is the creator and producer of The View would hire Rosie and then not tell her to shut her big mouth and quit raking Star through the coals in the national media. It is clear to me that Star Jones was cast as the fat, Black loud mouth woman - the single and bitter one, who would always be alone, because she was so huge and unattractive and emasculating. You know ... she was supposed to fit and feed the stereotype. But when Star found a man that she loved and intended to marry (despite the fact that there are rumors that his name is actually Big Gay Al), flaunted that fact hither and yon, had a whoppingly elaborate and lavish wedding that none of them could or have outdone and then to add insult to injury, dropped a GABILLION pounds and started rocking the same wear they could ... oh, well it was on! How dare she be happy and married and ... (GASP!) thin! How dare she??? And now, Star was instructed to leave The View posthaste, but not say that she'd been fired. Oh, hell no! Like her or not, that woman helped launch that show and helped it to reach its heights. She has promoted herself and that show well. They owe her better than they gave her. After announcing on air that she would not be returning for the 10th season (which she was told not to do!), they (meaning Barbara and Bill, the bald dude) told her agents (!) that she is not to show up to work today! That is trifling. It is trifling and stank and ridiculous and gutter and roach and (insert synonym here). Yes, I realize that if I ever want a broadcasting career and my feelings about this whole situation gets out (Why would it, since no one knows who I am, but still), I may have shot myself in the foot with Barbara. Good thing that I would not intend to bow to kiss Miz Walters' feet after I see how she does folk. Star is better than me, I'll tell you that. There is no way that I would deal with this as graciously as she has done. Somebody woulda got cussed out.

5 Comments:

At June 28, 2006 11:59 PM, Blogger Ericka said...

And let the church say, "Amen!"

Reggie and I wish you a Happy Birthday, Toya.

And a THank You to both you and VIc for getting us together.

Love ya!
Ericka and Reggie (who is equally angered by The View - Star)

 
At June 29, 2006 10:59 AM, Blogger LittleBrownGirl said...

Good recap. Walters acted like trailer trash. She will get no respect from me. I am not a fan of Star either but the way this was handled look bad on Walters.

 
At June 30, 2006 2:37 PM, Anonymous flawless said...

OK, let's address the facts before trashing BW. ABC has not been happy with Star since her promotion of free products for her wedding. The product placement on the View and selling of her wedding pictures to People did not set well with ABC. Now selling yet another story to People for this weekend. Maybe she should have told the "truth" that she keeps upholding about her weight loss in the first place. There should be no shame in gastric bypass if that is what you need medically. And by the way, Barb is a powerhouse in communications, and I, for one, wouldn't mess with her.

 
At June 30, 2006 3:21 PM, Blogger Toya said...

I am sure that ABC was not happy with Star for the way she touted her wedding and for her gathering of free products and services. I think they would have better served themselves and the viewers by nipping it in the bud then - not punishing her for a year and a half after the fact. If she had been fired *then* and they had explained why they'd done it - I would have had no beef.

As far as her weight loss is concerned - I agree that there is no shame in gastric bypass. And, had it been you or me, we probably would have said that gastric bypass was the way we'd chosen to go about losing weight for optimum health. But it wasn't you or me, and, contrary to popular belief, even celebrities are allowed at least a smidgen of privacy. If the woman wants to pretend that she dieted her way to good health, it's whatever.

And, I'm not sure who the last sentence was directed to - me or Star. If directed to Star, well, she doesn't seem all that concerned with Barb the powerhouse. And, if directed to me, well ... see above. I'm not all that concerned, either. I'm not saying anything that others aren't saying and if Ms. Walters is worried about what one Black woman is saying about her, then she's got her priorities misplaced.

 
At July 05, 2006 10:35 AM, Anonymous Kim said...

That whole situation was super shady. Can you believe ABC & Barb told Star she could tell any lie she wanted to about why she was leaving, but that when she told the truth to People, BW wanted to act like she was the injured party. I haven't seen the People article, but every interview I've heard, Star has gone out of her way to be respectful to BW. Plus, they were supposedly friends, but Star had to hear about her firing third hand (from Al who heard from her agent who heard from ABC) months after ABC informed BW that they wanted to give Star the axe? Boo!

On another note, am I the only one who finds radical-gay Rosie less than entertaining? She was unecessarily vicious about Star's weight loss, and I am so not interested in watching her and caught-in-a-lie BW on the View next season. With Meridith gone, I think this whole debacle is going to bite ABC in the butt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home