The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Thursday, June 15, 2006

So You Think You Can ... Flip?

I understand that I don't know much about formal styles of dance. Before becoming a bellydancer, my exposure to other dance styles has only been as audience, not as participant. I took ballet when I was 3 and quickly became bored with it. So, take what I say with a grain of salt. But, after watching last night's episode of So You Think You Can Dance and looking at the flashbacks to the auditions, I realized just how many of the dancers were flipping and splitting and bouncing all over the stage. Now, I expect that from the breakers, but from the jazz/modern/etc. dancers, it just seemed like some kind of weird overkill. Like, I see that you're flexible and athletic and that's nice, but ... can you dance? It seemed like they were trying out for some kind of Olympic event. I'm not saying that dance should not count as a sport. I am well aware of how much physical strength, stamina and athleticism go into being a good dancer. But I would think that, if a person is trying out for a dance show, they would, I don't know ... dance or something. But maybe it's just me. BTW - Out of all the couples last night, Benji and Donyelle were my favorite. That little White swing kid was popping it! Still ... I miss Jamile.

4 Comments:

At June 15, 2006 11:47 AM, Anonymous koz said...

Oh, how I love that show!!

 
At June 17, 2006 10:22 PM, Blogger Aimee "Roo" said...

How long have you been bellydancing? Would you be interested in joining a group bellydance blog I just started? I hope to have bloggers/dancers from all over who are willing to blog about dance and what is going on in their neck of the woods. Stop by and let me know if you are intersted at all. :)

 
At June 21, 2006 7:59 AM, Blogger SpillToJill said...

Let me know when you blog about the eyeliner:) We now have an icon and you should be able to find it on my blog:)

Love always,
Jill

www.spilltojill.com (advice Blog)
www.jilbean.blogspot.com (personal Blog)
www.jilbean.com (personal site)

 
At June 21, 2006 7:59 AM, Blogger SpillToJill said...

Let me know when you blog about the eyeliner:) We now have an icon and you should be able to find it on my blog:)

Love always,
Jill

www.spilltojill.com (advice Blog)
www.jilbean.blogspot.com (personal Blog)
www.jilbean.com (personal site)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home