The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

4 More Things ...

1. I am quick to hang up on folk. I cannot stand rudeness, particularly over the phone. I will tell somebody to change their tone quickly or risk being introduced to my man, Mr. Click. Yes, I will hang up on you. DO NOT take a tone with me! 2. For real? I'm sick of hearing about Harry Potter. Is the very idea that Potter could be killed in the last book so serious that it beared mention on the morning news shows? Because, just in case nobody remembers ... HE'S NOT A REAL PERSON! A fictional character, people. I mean, yeah ... I'm a bit in love with Wolverine. But I understand the concept of the imaginary ... and if he were to die? I wouldn't like, mourn his passing or anything. Goodness gracious. Chill back. 3. I remembered to bring a change of underwear today and, as added protection, I'm wearing Spanx. Just in case my underwear happened to disappear, the Spanx would suffice, since they have a cotton crotch. The cheeks have been harnessed, thank GOD. 4. I just made an appointment for me and Poopie to have quite the day of beauty to celebrate 28! For me: mini facial, Tahitian Coconut body polish, and Cleopatra Milk and Honey manicure and pedicure. For Poopie: Tahitian Coconut body polish and Warm Paraffin mani/pedi. Feel free to sweat us ... we totally understand. Considering that my entire body will feel like a baby's butt when I walk out of there ... I sweat me, too.

7 Comments:

At June 27, 2006 4:34 PM, Anonymous Eve said...

Toya, I am SO with you on Harry Potter. I guess that it's good that there is a series out there that is getting more people to read, but it's children's fiction! I don't get it.

I horrified one of my college roomies by telling her I would never read Harry Potter and she told me she felt bad for me. LOL.

(I am so pleased you are continuing four things! I love these posts!)

 
At June 28, 2006 3:01 PM, Anonymous PhillyPhile said...

I think that HP is big news because it’s a phenomenon in itself. Not to mention a children’s book. Although I am a huge fan of non-happy endings now, I don’t know how I would have handled it if Punky Brewster died in some dramatic plot twist. It’s just something that is not normally done to children.

 
At June 28, 2006 3:34 PM, Blogger Toya said...

That's the problem ... this isn't being done to children. It's being "done" to adults! It's more adults freaking out than children! Is that not the slightest bit weird to anybody?

 
At June 30, 2006 2:46 PM, Anonymous flawless said...

HP is all about escapism. Does "The Young and the Restless" ring a bell?! All people use different forms of escapism, both legal and illegal, to get a few minutes away from their lives.
But you gotta give it up to the lady who wrote the HP series. The year before the first one published, she was on welfare. She just kept trying, and a little guy named Harry made her wildest dreams come true. I'm not mad at her. PS - I've never read one of the books either.

 
At June 30, 2006 3:24 PM, Blogger Toya said...

Yes, "The Young and the Restless" rings quite a bell, since I've been watching it for as long as I can remember. However, I don't see any news programs starting with the latest updates on "Y&R" (though I'd probably be more interested in that than I was in the "Harry Potter" stories).

I'm not mad at J.K. Rowling, either. I'm all for a woman who finds a way to rise in the ranks - good for her! I'm mad at the folk who are acting like the death of HP is a national tragedy. J.K. isn't nearly as interested in it as others are.

 
At June 30, 2006 4:10 PM, Anonymous flawless said...

You're right about one thing - Victor's recent health problems would be more interesting than the impending death of little Harry. I'm with ya though, neither one merits a mention on network or cable news. That is proof positive that the news has gone entertainment, too. Is it more of that escapism from the deadly things that most people feel they can't do anything about, ie bird flu or dying children in Darfur?

 
At June 30, 2006 5:07 PM, Blogger Toya said...

You're right - neither of them belongs on the "news" shows. And I do think it's proof that people are looking for an escape from the truly important issues and problems in our world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home