The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

4 More Things ...

1. The older I get, the more I love Teena Marie. I was told years ago that young people really can't appreciate Teena Marie. Back then, I hated her voice with a passion. And now, I have four Teena Marie songs on my iPod and Portuguese Love has been floating through my mind, nonstop, for days. I don't know why, but the older I get, the more her drama-filled lyrics strike my fancy. 2. What I want, more than anything, to get from my experience as a parent is not to become one of "those mothers." I desperately fight against hovering over Sarai or treating her like she's made of glass. I know that she's a small child and she's dependent upon me for safety, shelter, proper raising and everything else I can think of, but she's also an independent being - she has a mind that's capable of intelligent thought and she uses that mind (and the mouth it's connected to) regularly and well. I don't want to protect her so much that she never gets to experience life, in all its fullness. So, I'm trying my best to expose her to things - to different ways of living, different cultures, different foods, travel, books, music ... I just want her to know that there is so much more out there than can be seen from her front door or even shown on her television set. There is life to be grabbed and experiences to be had, adventures to go on and dreams to be pursued ... and I want all those things for her. 3. I am afraid of clowns. Desperately afraid. They are public menaces and should be abolished. They are evil and must be destroyed. Sarai will never, ever have a clown at one of her parties, or even a clown doll. I'm not sure that I'll even ever be able to take her to the circus, unless we sit so high in the rafters that the possibility of a clown ever coming near us is almost nil. 4. Speaking of circuses, I think I might the only person besides Kathy Griffin, who doesn't get the point of Cirque du Soleil. I'm sure it's all very sophisticated and artsy fartsy, so maybe that's why I don't get it at all - it just goes way over my head. I like my fun to be, you know ... fun. I think that clowns (GOD forbid) and other circus performers, like acrobats and contortionists and whatnot should wear clothes. I don't want to see a naked circus act, even if it's to make a point. Because I don't get the point. I certainly don't get the point of a circus that's seemingly marketed toward adults. Maybe that's why it's all in Vegas, instead of traveling to the Baltimore Arena, like Barnum & Bailey. I mean, do they even serve cotton candy at Cirque du Soleil shows? Because what's the point of a circus without cotton candy???

17 Comments:

At June 13, 2006 2:41 PM, Anonymous koz said...

Oh no!! Toya! Have you BEEN to Cirque du Soleil?! And it's the French version of "circus!" You are so American!! And, yes, they DO travel. One of the shows was in Bmore recently. it comes every year, I think.

I need to calm down.

But, seriously, I DETEST the circus. The American/big top/Barnum/clowns/elephants/stink circus.

Breathe!!!

 
At June 13, 2006 3:34 PM, Blogger Toya said...

I am definitely so American. And not ashamed. I get very irritated when people seem to be enamored with things European, particularly French. There's been this huge thing in the beauty/make-up industry lately where everyone's been talking about French women and what make-up and hair and beauty products they use. And guess what? I couldn't care less. I'm not French, I'm not trying to look French and I'm not trying to be French. I'm not gasping and swooning every time something French comes along. Cirque du Soleil bites, as far as I'm concerned, but hey - whoever wants it can have it. I'm fine with others liking it.

I *am* shocked that it was in Baltimore, but I stand corrected. Thanks for that info. I still don't ever plan to *go*, but at least I know I'd have the opportunity, if I wanted it.

 
At June 13, 2006 4:09 PM, Blogger Tonyette said...

I don't get the point of Cirque Du Soleil, either! And while in Vegas, I saw like SIX shows that were all affliated with it! I was like, SKIP! I'm glad to be American, too, at times like these! And I used to be scared of clowns too, and I hated the TALL ones especially--you know the ones on stilts! I felt like they could reach me even if I sat in the nosebleed section!

 
At June 13, 2006 4:35 PM, Anonymous Eve said...

Oh my gosh, that is hilarious. You do know that not all the cirque du soleil shows are aimed at solely adults, and it's just one, right? With the nudity?

We saw cirque in orange county growing up and trust me, there was no nudity.

Tonyette's "SKIP!" comment made me choke on my water, you two are too funny.

 
At June 13, 2006 4:45 PM, Anonymous koz said...

Yeha, yeah. Not all adults. ONE nude!

I can't let this go. This is the equivalent of me owning a Mrs. Affleck bag.

I don't CARE if it's French. I'm just saying it's not the American circus you're familiar with. You shouldn't like it (or anything else) because it's French--or any other nationality!!

Gahhhh!!!

Seriously. OK. You have to SEE one before you can judge it. You can't just judge something on random glimpses or comments from other people or whatever. I'm so sad!

 
At June 13, 2006 5:06 PM, Anonymous koz said...

Oh, and the eagle? PLEASE tell me I can at least take solace in the eagle having landed?!

 
At June 13, 2006 6:53 PM, Blogger Toya said...

Tonyette - FINALLY! Someone who agrees with me!

Eve - Yeah, I know that there's only one version with the nudity.

Koz - Dude. It's so not serious. I know it's not the American circus. I actually *like* the American circus, minus the clowns. I like the animals and the three rings and the cotton candy and whatnot. And no, Cirque du Soleil is nothing like that. I have seen Cirque. Admittedly, it was on TV, so it might not have the same appeal that way. However, from what I saw, I wasn't at all impressed.

I'm not irritated with folk who love it. I'm not saying that I am somehow more intelligent than those who do. And I *get* that it might be my lack of "sophistication" or whatever that makes me think it sucks, but that's the way it is. I'm not making the judgment based on others comments - it's just not my thing. And I really don't think I can be convinced otherwise.

 
At June 13, 2006 6:54 PM, Blogger Toya said...

And yeah, the eagle has landed.

 
At June 14, 2006 7:58 AM, Anonymous koz said...

Excellent for the eagle. :)

And tv CdS is nothing. Sigh. Moving on. It pains me, Toya. It pains me.

 
At June 14, 2006 11:59 AM, Anonymous rachel said...

I've seen 2 Cirque shows and thought they were incredible. Very creative and visually striking. More like live theater than circus, that's for sure.

And I agree with Koz that TV is hugely different, there is no way it would translate so anyone who saw it on TV would probably think it sucked. In fact, Marc and I were watching part of the Tony awards, and they had some live performances of various shows included. Marc turned to me and said, "you know, this doesn't doesn't translate at ALL to TV." Some things you just gotta experience live.

I can see why it might come off as pretentious and European, but I didn't experience it that way at all-- the humor and whole approach is very different, which I enjoyed. I loved the classic Barnum and Baily circus as a kid, too, but now I have mixed feelings about it re: the treatment of animals for human entertainment. But that's another topic!

OH-- and I'm with you 100000% about not becoming one of THOSE MOTHERS. Please don't let me become one of them when the time comes, PLEASE!!!!! Sarai is a lucky duck.

 
At June 14, 2006 12:17 PM, Blogger Toya said...

I'll take all of your words for it re: Cirque. Still doesn't make me want to see it, but I'll let it rest.

 
At June 15, 2006 3:09 AM, Anonymous Eve said...

Not that I'm not ready to move on or anything, but you guys know that Cirque isn't European, right? It's Canadian! :)

 
At June 15, 2006 6:36 AM, Blogger Toya said...

Dudes, okay. For real. I'm sorry I even brought it up.

I don't like Cirque du Soleil, okay? I really hope it doesn't make y'all think less of me as a person, but if so ... Anyhow, it's just not that important to me. I get that there are others who think it's awesome and amazing and are rabid fans. I'm just not one of those people. My not liking it is not an indication that I think you're a weirdo for liking it, nor is it a challenge to your own preferences. It's just MY OPINION!

For real ... for real ... can we please move on to other topics???

 
At June 15, 2006 7:50 AM, Anonymous koz said...

LMAO, Eve! Yeah, I knew. ;) French Canadian. :D :D

Toya - We love you. We're not trying to raise your blood pressure!

 
At June 15, 2006 7:50 AM, Anonymous koz said...

LMAO, Eve! Yeah, I knew. French Canadian. :D :D :D

Toya - We love you. We aren't trying to raise your blood pressure! xxxxx

 
At June 15, 2006 7:51 AM, Anonymous koz said...

OK, seriously, blogger sucks! I didn't mean to double post. It said it rejected the first one!

 
At June 20, 2006 8:05 PM, Blogger Ericka said...

I am so with you on the Teena Marie thing. I HATED her voice. Then, Portugese Love got me. I've been hooked ever since. She is so necessary in any slow jam compilation. If you can, listen to her tracks on La Dona. She has a newer CD out, but I haven't listened to it just yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home