The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Minimalist chic

I don't know what's going on with me lately. Y'all know that I am a fan of the "extra" as far as fashion is concerned. I like ornamentation and fabulousness. I like bright, usually cool, colors. But, all of a sudden, my sense of style is changing. I think some of it is influenced by my dancing - paying attention to what costumes look best on me has made me rethink what colors are best, some of it is the books I've been reading (the What Not To Wear books are great!). Either way, I'm starting to change my ideas about color and about types of clothes that suit me best. Like today, I'm wearing an outfit I would never have worn in years past: a brown square-necked fitted tee with lettuce-edge sleeves, an olive green (the color of this font) handkerchief-y skirt from Target, gold ballerina flats, gold cuff, gold drop earrings. Now, I would never have worn olive green - I thought it was an awful color and would make me look sickly. But it doesn't! I've found that earthtones are beautiful on me! And, those of you who know me well know that I have been a silver/white gold/platinum person for I don't know how long, so to be wearing yellow gold is a huge step for me! And there's no ornamentation anywhere on this outfit! I am amazed!

5 Comments:

At May 04, 2006 2:27 PM, Blogger Ericka said...

Those are my colors! You know what? Coral accessories would look good with that.

 
At May 04, 2006 2:36 PM, Blogger Toya said...

Hmm ... coral? I'll try that the next time. Thanks, Poopie!

 
At May 04, 2006 2:37 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Mmm, I bet a plumy purple accent with that would look really good too.

The nice thing about earth tones are that they show off where you do have those accents - the gold earrings and shoes, whatever color is in your make up (I envy your technique with blush). I bet those colors DO look awesome on you - I have a picture of you in my head, with those muted colors making your skin look golden.

Today, the only black I'm wearing are my shoes and socks. It's a miracle!

 
At May 04, 2006 3:08 PM, Blogger Toya said...

Oooh! Plummy purple! That sounds lovely! I'm keeping that color combo in mind.

 
At May 04, 2006 4:01 PM, Blogger Tonyette said...

It's funny because I'm actually finding myself ADDING pieces to "chunk" up my outfits now! Your outfit today sounds SO cute! And yes, plum & olive, MAGIC together!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home