The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

I just finished dancing!

It went awesomely well! I am so proud of myself for doing this - I started with a short speech about how I got into bellydance and what this dance has done for me mentally, emotionally, and physically. Then, I danced to Habibi Ya Eini by Nourhanne and finished up by picking three volunteers from the audience and teaching them some basic moves and having them "perform" with me to the song. The audience applauded and cheered and the volunteers really seemed to love it. I had about a dozen people come up to me afterward to ask me if I teach - which, of course, I told them no - but I did point them in the direction of Baltimore-area teachers, so I was able to give back a little to the B'More bellydance community - yay me! Thank GOD for Na'lani. She really comes through for me when I have to perform choreography. She makes me look good and seems to understand who I am as a dancer. More importantly, she gives me tips on what I need to work on - I know that I have feelings that can be hurt, but shoot, when I hire a teacher, I want her (or him) to really teach me! If I'm doing something wrong or if I need to tighten something up, tell me! How can I hope to get better if I don't know what I'm doing wrong? So, thank GOD for you, Na'lani (if you're reading) - you whip my butt into shape! So, the next big thing in my dance life is ... private lessons with Lotus start next Wednesday. I am somewhat petrified, which is silly, because I've been taking lessons from her for more than a year and she's invited me into her advanced class and has now invited me to take private lessons from her. So, that means one of two things: 1) She thinks I'm good enough to invest that amount of time into me or 2) I suck so bad that she thinks I really need her help. Either way, I'll wind up better, so, scared as I am, I'm looking forward to it.

8 Comments:

At May 10, 2006 12:40 PM, Anonymous rachel said...

Yahooo! That is awesome! You really inspired the audience, your joy of dance came through. I wish I could have been there.

You will have a wonderful experience with Lotus. I'm confident the reason she wants to work with you is #1. :)

Also, I am really impressed by the amount of detail that you can write about mascara!

 
At May 10, 2006 12:54 PM, Blogger Tonyette said...

Toya, I prayed, among other things (Like endurance) that your dance would go well and that God would get the glory from your performance! And it sounds like HE DID! Whenever we do things that we LOVE and that God created us for He gets glory!! (Now if you were stripping to "Laffy Taffy" but loved it, that MIGHT be different!) I can't wait to see you perform again!!

 
At May 10, 2006 4:32 PM, Anonymous Mel said...

Toya, congrats on your performance! I'm still waiting on video of some of your shows!!! Question though, did that chick you wrote about show up to watch you?

Tonyette, I'm sure there's absolutely nothing wrong with stripping to "Laffy Taffy" before the God-appropriate audience! He said to keep yourself to your mate, but that doesn't mean you gotta let things go stale!!! ;)

 
At May 10, 2006 9:12 PM, Anonymous koz said...

Congrats, Toya!!

I don't think us (the faithful readers) ever doubted it for a second. Can I get an amen?

 
At May 10, 2006 9:47 PM, Blogger Toya said...

Yes, she did, Mel. Of course, she did. And she jumped up on stage during the "volunteers learning to dance" portion. HA! She tried to get the other volunteers to watch her as I was demonstrating moves and I basically told them, "You need to be looking at me." She tried like heck to steal my thunder and it didn't work at all. I know it killed her.

 
At May 11, 2006 9:20 AM, Blogger Tonyette said...

Mel, good point! As a single woman, I don't have to think about such things, but I'm SURE you are right! (Toya, sorry I used your blog to address Meloni!)

 
At May 11, 2006 10:06 AM, Blogger sparkles anonymous! said...

Toya, I was just telling Lisa Zahiya that I thought you really showed a lot of talent. So please, stop with the "suck so bad" bit. ;)

 
At May 11, 2006 10:15 AM, Blogger Toya said...

See, Sparkles - that's why I like you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home