The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The Great Mascara Hunt: Day Five

Today, I decided to tackle that bastion of Mascara-dom, Maybelline Great Lash. This mascara has the reputation of being "the most widely used mascara among make-up artists." And, my question is, who are these make-up artists of whom they speak? 'Cause, for real? The only make-up artist I've ever seen use it is Carmindy from What Not to Wear. All the make-up artists I know scoff at the pink tube. I'm just sayin'. Anyway, I decided to find out if my scoffage is wrongly directed. For the purpose of this test, I decided to buy what looked to be the Greatest of Great Lash - Great Lash in Blackest Black Mascara with Curved Brush. As I have previously stated, curved brushes irk the heck outta me. I just don't get the idea of it. I understand that the curved brush is supposed to add curl, but if the formulation of the mascara is already supposed to curl the lashes, then what's the point? Also, does anyone besides me find that it's harder to apply the mascara properly with a curved brush??? So, okay, I tried it this morning. And I'm here to tell you ... scoffage was applied appropriately. Great Lash is simply not great. There's no way around it. The "mascara most widely used by make-up artists" is average. It's not as ridiculously ineffective as L'Oreal Panoramic Curl, but it did not make me have a mascara-induced orgasm. It's really, really regular, y'all. My lashes look just the teeniest big longer; I see no added volume, and, while it did give my lashes a discernable lift (I'm loath to call it "curl"), it also caused quite a bit of clumpage, much to my dismay. How is it possible that this mascara made my lashes both spindly and clumpy???? Aaarggghh!!! Product rating: 4 - Only because it did give me some lift and a tiny bit of length. I can't even give it a 5 because it's supposedly the end-all and be-all of mascaras - come on! It should seriously be better than this. Geez.

3 Comments:

At May 10, 2006 8:44 PM, Blogger TheBeautyBrains said...

May is for Mascara - what a clever idea!!

We're cosmetic scientists who run a blog called The Beauty Brains and we specialize in answering questions about how cosmetic products work. Can we come and play with you guys?

We'd love to join the Mascara Madness with a post about the function of Mascara formulas. How do we go about joining the fun?

Thanks!
The Beauty Brains

PS Check out our blog at Thebeautybrains.blogspot.com and feel free to link to us if you like what you see.

 
At May 10, 2006 9:39 PM, Blogger Toya said...

The Beauty Brains -

I would love for you to come join the May Mascara Madness mania! To hop on board, contact Annie over at Blogdorf Goodman - www.blogdorfgoodman.com.

 
At May 11, 2006 1:28 PM, Blogger TheBeautyBrains said...

The Brains are loving May Mascara Month!

Check out our contribution that describes the ingredients in a mascara and how they work.

http://thebeautybrains.blogspot.com/2006/05/beauty-in-bottle-how-does-mascara-work.html#links

 

Post a Comment

<< Home