The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Thursday, May 04, 2006

The Great Mascara Hunt: Day 3

Today's mascara is L'Oreal Panoramic Curl. This is the first time I'm testing this product. Yesterday, during one of my famous Walgreen's runs, I picked up three different mascaras to test. I'm one who believes that it's not necessary and probably, not even best, to buy high-priced mascaras. Mascaras should be changed at least every 3 months. I change mine every month. If you know you're going to be throwing out a tube of mascara so often, do you really want to be spending $20 or more each time you re-purchase? Something to think about. Anyway, this mascara is supposed to give your lashes amazing volume and curl. The tube is kind of cool looking - it's curved because it's a curling mascara, get it? Immediately, I was a little irked. When I saw that the brush was curved, I thought, "huh", but forged on. This was my first time using a mascara with a curved brush and I did not like it. I found the curve made the brush hard to deal with - it seemed like it took more effort to make sure I distributed the mascara on each lash and my lashes seemed to clump together instantly. I applied another coat, hoping to separate the clumping. I was able to unclump my lashes, but I was still disappointed with the result. At one point, my bottom lashes were sticking to my top lashes; my top lashes don't look particularly curled to me; and, though I bought it in Blackest Black, my lashes don't look all that darkened. I am quite disappointed in this product and wouldn't recommend it. Product rating: 2

4 Comments:

At May 04, 2006 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Divine Miz Fabulash,

I was disappointed in Panoramic Curl, too, and surprisingly pleased with Almay One-Coat Nourishing waterproof. May I ask what you think about waterproof mascaras in general? Seems like whatever brand of regular mascara I use, I always end up with it smudged under my eyes eventually anyway, so I'm thinking maybe I should just switch to waterproof permanently because that seems to eliminate the problem. I don't wear makeup every day because I work by myself at home, but I do at least wear lipstick, concealer, and mascara pretty often and would like to get 'em right.

Also, are you a fan of Bobbi Brown (the products and/or the person)? I'm liking the gel eyeliner and wondering if I should take a closer look at her other products. I also like her philosophy, which seems to be to go with your strengths, whatever your age/color/shape, and don't try to turn yourself into somebody else in pursuit of some bogus ideal.

Thanks, gorgeous! Love your writing.

 
At May 04, 2006 8:50 AM, Blogger Toya said...

Hi, Anonymous! (Next time, tell me who you are, at least a pseudonym - I like to "know" my readers by name!)

I think waterproof mascaras can be really beneficial for women (and men, I guess) who have problems with smearing. The only detriment is that they can be a little harder to remove at the end of the day, but a good eye make-up remover should fix that. I have a couple waterproof mascaras myself, but I only use them when I'm going to be on the stage or when I know I may get teary-eyed (like in church).

I am a big fan of Bobbi Brown, for the same reason you mentioned - I am quite happy with her beauty philosophy, which jives with my own. I also feel that too many women spend their lives trying to reach some impossible, imaginary ideal, when they should, instead, revel in their own unique beauty. Bobbi's products are generally awesome, too. I have never been unhappy with anything of hers that I've used. I've tried several of her shadows, a blush, lip colors, and shimmerbricks - which are one of my favorite products, in general. In fact, I'll probably be doing a review of two of her products, today or tomorrow, so be on the lookout!

Thank you for reading my blog! Y'all come back now, ya hear!

Smooches!

 
At May 04, 2006 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, sweetie -- I meant to! I hit "publish" too soon. My name is Sam (Samantha). Now back to reading your mascara insights....

 
At May 04, 2006 8:59 AM, Blogger Toya said...

Hi Sam! Good to "meet" you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home