The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Monday, May 01, 2006

Amer's Spring Hafla

I had such a great time last night! Vic and Sarai came this time, which really made me happy. Vic and I are starting to see more eye-to-eye on my bellydancing - it's still not "his thing", but he's now gotten to see that it's "my thing" and he appreciates that. When we were riding home in the car, he told me how fun it was to see me do my little solo part of one of the troupe dances, just to watch me improvising and see how happy it makes me to dance. He doesn't suck, does he? I like that he's trying to understand me more and making an effort. I could just eat him with a spoon. Not to mention that he looked downright cute last night and was quite flirty. He's yummy. Everybody should have one. I think our dancing went really well and seemed to be well-received by the crowd. I think Kallisti adds a touch of "differentness" to the Amer's hafla. There was more "tribal" this time than the last time around - Ruta did a sword dance in tribal regalia and Naimah did more slinky-dink urban tribal fusion - but we were the only troupe of any kind. It felt good to represent. I think we all looked wonderful - the headwraps worked, I think. And our music was fun and peppy. During intermission, they had live drumming and open dancing. I saw Sarai dancing up on Vic's lap, so I went to get her, since I'd promised her that I'd let her dance if they open drumming and she'd worn her hip scarf for the occasion. Of course, Girlfriend didn't need to be asked twice. She tore up the floor dancing! (She refused to dance on a chair, though. I think she was afraid that she might fall.) At one point, the rest of the dancers kinda became her chorus line! It was awesome and hysterical. She danced around the entire restaurant and got her first tip! (A whole dollar!) Vic offered to frame it, but she said no. Ha! She cried when the music stopped because she wanted to keep dancing. Damien does a great job at organizing the hafla and Amer's is always such a warm, fun atmosphere. Last night, Gretchen Amer made the announcement that the haflas are going to be regular events, every three months, which was great to hear. I can't wait 'til the next one - I hope we're invited to dance again!

3 Comments:

At May 01, 2006 12:14 PM, Anonymous rachel said...

Way to go, I am so happy for you! Glad it was a blast, and that Vic does not suck. And go, Sarai! :)

 
At May 01, 2006 4:44 PM, Anonymous Londa said...

I finally got a chance to see you dance Ms. Toyer! I was so excited. You did a wonderful job and I especially loved Sarai's intermission dance. What a treat. Keep up the good work!

 
At May 02, 2006 6:40 AM, Blogger sparkles anonymous! said...

Congratulations. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home