The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Monday, April 03, 2006

Space Invaders

What is it with people who can't recognize and respect personal space? I was just in the ladies' room, washing my hands, and another lady commented on how she likes my hair. Of course, I smiled and said my thanks. Then, she comes over and actually begins to touch my hair! And not like a little poke - she dug her fingers in and tugged on one of the curls! Oh my freakin' goodness! I got this look on my face (that said, "Back up about 50 feet immediately or I swear I will slap you!") and then recoiled. To which she said, "Oh, I'm sorry! I just think your hair's so interesting! Does it take you a lot of work to make it do that?" At this point, I was so over this conversation, but I managed to reply, "No. I wash and condition it, apply some gel and let it air dry." "Oh! Well, it's really ... artistic!" she says with this grin on her face which clearly translates to, "Oh goodness. I hope this girl doesn't get all 'angry Black woman' on me." Before I did, in fact, get all "angry Black woman" on her, I left. Okay, forgive me White girls, but ... what is with that??? I have never had my hair handled like that before by a Black person. Is it because we're different and you're lured by the "exoticness" or something? I mean, I'm not an alien. I just happen to have kinkier hair. And really ... if you wanna touch it ... ask! Good LORD!

5 Comments:

At April 03, 2006 9:48 AM, Blogger Amy said...

I know you and I'd NEVER touch your hair (or anyone else's I know except for Justin's) without asking (see: me asking Brooke if I could touch her curls).

I like to touch people's hair when it's totally different than mine; after all the straight and fine I deal with, it's novel. I've had people touch my hair without asking (especially when it was crazy colors) and it drove me nuts!

Once, while out at a bar, I was chatting with this guy next to me. He asked if he could touch my hair, because he's never touched a White girl's hair before. I said only if I could touch his; it was very short but he had it arranged (gel? combing?) into these concentric rings, and it looked really cool. So we had a mutual hair admiration fest for a minute, then had another beer.

I just remembered, I do love to give a little tug to my niece's curls (waist length!) without asking, but it's a teasing thing we have going.

 
At April 03, 2006 10:30 AM, Blogger sparkles anonymous! said...

I would never, ever touch someone's hair (black, white, green or otherwise!) unless I knew them well. PERIOD. That's just totally unacceptable behaviour.

 
At April 03, 2006 10:45 AM, Blogger Toya said...

Loving the screenname, Sparkles. Hee!

 
At April 03, 2006 4:05 PM, Blogger Zahiya said...

Yeah. I wouldn't do that. Ever. I was walking down the street yesterday and a woman came up to me and complimented my necklace. then she touched it. for awhile. ick.

 
At April 04, 2006 8:09 AM, Anonymous rachel said...

*cringe* yikes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home