The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Friday, April 28, 2006

Raq'ing the Old Folks

Yesterday, Kallisti Tribal had a performance at the Oak Crest Village Retirement Community. It was a big deal for us - one of the residents had seen us dance at the first Amer's hafla and liked us so much that she invited us to come perform for them. We really wanted to do our best and worked like dogs to get ourselves ready for this event. Call time wasn't 'til 6:30, so I figured it was fine for me to put in a full day of work. I got off at 4 and went home and ran myself a hot bath with some lavendar oil in it, to relax me and ease some of my already tired muscles. I was able to get my costume together with no trouble, but when it came time to put on my pounds of jewelry, my necklace was no place to be found. I tore the bedroom up looking for it - literally throwing clothes and shoes in the air as I searched. By the time I finished, it looked like a tornado had gone through the room - still no necklace. Of course, I was now frustrated beyond belief, but I was running late, so I just said, "Forget it. I have plenty of necklaces - I'll wear another one." Off to do make-up. I was getting ready for the stage, so this make-up wasn't my usual 5 Minute Face. It took me at least 20 minutes to get everything to look the way I wanted it to look. At around 6, I was getting in the car to drive off. As I made the turn to get on 695, I realized I didn't have my make-up bag. OMG! I hit a quick U-turn and went back to the house. I searched and searched for 20 minutes. I could not find my make-up! I was almost in tears. The only reason I didn't cry was because I knew it would ruin my make-up and, since I couldn't find the bag with my supplies, I wouldn't be able to fix it! Finally, at around 6:30, I stopped looking. As I screeched up Rolling Road, I called Nora to tell her I was going to be way late. Nora let me know that there was an accident or something on 695, so the beltway was slow all the way to exit 20. By this time, it was too late for me to take an alternate route - I was just going to have to chance it. Thankfully, there must have been a clear-up by the time I got there because it wasn't too bad. I got to Oak Crest after 7 PM. I drove onto the huge circular road that surrounds the entire community. I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to park. Everything was one way. I was frantic! I called Nora - again! - and she told me that Amy's guy, Justin, would come out to save me. I kept driving and driving and driving until ... thank GOD! ... I saw Justin waving me down on the side of the road. I was so happy that I rolled the window all the way down and screamed, "Hi Justin! I'm so glad to see you!" Justin looked at me like I had lost my mind, which, by this time, I pretty much had. He walked me into the building. I have no idea what the old folks walking past must have thought of us. We sure didn't look like the volunteers they were honoring - the well-pressed young college kids - me with my huge pantaloons, glittery hair flowers, and stage make-up; he with his dreadlocks and camoflage shorts. Ha! Justin is my new hero for saving me from the Circular Street of Doom! I heart him. By the time I saw the girls in the dressing room, I was really ready to cry. But they soothed me, as they always do. We had such fun. Seeing the looks on the faces of the old folks' choir was enough to crack me up. When they passed by to go onto the stage, I'm not sure they knew what to make of us. But when they were leaving, many of them wished us luck, which was really nice. I think we did a great job. Once again, I'm not sure they knew what to make of us, but the applauded nicely. There was one lady, who I will hereafter think of as Prune Pit, who scowled at me the entire time we were dancing, much to my delight. I purposely smiled and shook my booty in her direction as much as possible. I'm sure she was thinking, "You need to go on in the back and put some clothes on, young lady." Ha! Seems we may have gotten a gig out of it, too. A man inquired about us and Brooke (our marketing maven!) gave him our card. So, yay for us! Now, to prepare for Amer's on Sunday. By the end of this week, I'm going to be bushed!

1 Comments:

At April 28, 2006 12:28 PM, Anonymous N'lita said...

I'm glad you were cheered up! I'm thinking: "Now have a wonderful start to the weekend to beat yesterdays' blearghs, young lady!".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home