The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Product reviews: Hair stuff

I treid two new products and one well-loved product on my hair today and want to share my thoughts. Kerastase Nutritive Bain Satin 3 (Shampoo for Very Dry and Damaged Hair) and Masquintense (Intense Enriching Treatment for Very Dry Hair): Thankfully, I've always had very healthy, thick hair. Going natural has actually made my hair more healthy, since I'm not applying chemical processes on a regular basis. Still, my hair has always been very dry, so I'm always on the lookout for products that will add moisture and make my hair feel softer and more supple. I think I've found two products that are wonderful in that regard. The Bain Satin 3 shampoo has a fragrance that I don't really like - it smells really chemically, like an overly fragranced soap. Still, I decided to give it a try. I lathered and rinsed the first time and then, following the instructions on the bottle, I lathered again and left it on for a few minutes while I showered before rinsing. Let me tell you - I could instantly tell the difference. My hair felt softer and sleeker than I could remember it feeling before. It was an instant change - impressive. Then, I applied the Masquintense conditioner - I loved it as soon as I opened the jar. The fragrance reminds me of something my grandmother would wear - soft and powdery, like the creams she would apply to her hands before going out. I know saying it smells "grandmotherly" wouldn't be a compliment from some people, but my grandmother has always been a huge part of my life and anything that reminds me of her makes me happy and gets my vote. I left the conditioner on for 5 or 10 minutes while I shaved, then rinsed it out. I noticed after using the Kerastase shampoo and conditioner, I lost less hair in the shower and my hair was easier to detangle. Thumbs up! I give the Kerastase shampoo and conditioner 4 on the 5 kiss scale - taking 1/2 point off for the "extra" smell of the shampoo and another 1/2 point for how expensive they are. Because of the expense, I won't be giving up on my more economical shampoos/conditioners like Garnier Fructis and Nexxus, but I will keep the Kerastase around to use when my hair has been feeling extra dry or ornery. After washing and conditioning, I applied Oyin Shine + Define Styling Serum. I love the smell of this product and, the several times I have used it, I have always been pleased with the results. It defines the natural texture of your hair without leaving it crunchy and hard like some gels and curl definers do. I give it a 4 on the 5 kiss scale, because Oyin's customer service department is kinda shady - I can't believe they're right here in Baltimore, but won't let you come pick up products or let you know where you can find the products in the area. Also, I've known folks who have ordered things that never arrived. Still, I love the product, so I'm sticking with it. Give 'em a try, my lovelies!

2 Comments:

At April 15, 2006 8:06 PM, Anonymous koz said...

Oh, I forgot. My friend wants to know if you've tried anything by Jonathan? Dirt, or anything else? Or heard anything?

 
At April 15, 2006 10:40 PM, Blogger Toya said...

Nope, sorry. I don't think any Jonathan sells would be the best thing for my hair. But if I hear anything, I'll let you know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home