The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Beyond the pale

As I was walking toward the bathroom, I looked down at my legs and thought to myself, "GOD, my legs are pale!" Then I giggled because I realized ... pale is relative, huh? I mean, yeah, my legs are pale to me, but if, for instance, Nicole Kidman woke up with my skin tomorrow, she'd be all, "WTH??? When did I become Black???" So, I guess what you consider pale is all dependent upon where you fall on the spectrum. Anyway, this train of thought veered off the track quite quickly (which my thought trains usually do) and moved on to something that occurred during my freshman year of college. In Introduction to African American History - taught by Dr. Harrison, who I still miss ... she was such a delightfully snarky old lady - there was a girl who sat near me who was on the paler side of pale, even on Nicole Kidman's scale. At one point, before class, a group of us were talking about the previous summer and what we'd done and I started talking about the cruise that I'd taken and how tan I'd been when I returned to Baltimore. Upon which, Pale Ale replied, "Wow, you must have been as black as your shirt!" (I was wearing a black shirt that day, you see.) To which I quickly said, "I sure was! Your boyfriend loved it!" She got the best "Well, I never!" face I've ever seen. I am the Queen of the Snappy Comeback.

2 Comments:

At April 27, 2006 10:45 AM, Blogger sparkles anonymous! said...

You ain't seen pale until you've seen my bare legs. Capable of reflecting light, they are. ;)

 
At April 27, 2006 2:03 PM, Blogger Tonyette said...

Well, Toya, you must have had on the ASHIEST black shirt ever! LOL! Girl, don't you just LOVE the chance to snap back at IGNORANT comments!?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home