The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Badge of honor?

I try not to watch the news a lot. I'm tired of being inundated with war, death, destruction and grief. I'm tired of seeing the stereotyped images of Black men, especially inner city dwelling Black men, as the Boogie Man of every little child's nightmares. So, apparently, I have missed a rather disturbing occurrence in local news. In the office convenience store, a few women were talking about a recent rash of shootings perpetrated by young women. One woman remarked, "Yeah, girl, the girls are packin' now!", accompanied by a quick burst of sharp laughter. Another replied, "Yeah, girls are as rough as the boys!", which was greeted with head nods, "um hm"s and more laughter. I stood there flabbergasted. I couldn't believe that people were laughing about this. Our world is going to hell and they think it's funny??? It seemed as if the idea that young women are as likely to be violent, hateful, and hurtful as young men was something to be proud of, to be worn as a badge of honor. And I thought to myself, "Well, that's where we are now, huh? Packin' heat is something to be happy about? Our young girls being carted off to jail for murder and attempted murder is something to be shared laughingly with your fellow gossips?" And we wonder why we are where we are, people. We wonder. I have to say ... what are you wondering for? Children (and these girls are reportedly teenagers, so they are children) have always wanted the attention and respect of their elders. This is how they're trying to get it. And as long as they receive any kind of positive reinforcement, even if it's the whispered, "Girl, don't get on her bad side, 'cause she might shoot you!", they'll continue.

2 Comments:

At April 05, 2006 11:35 AM, Anonymous koz said...

omg, omg, omg guess what?!?! My friend sat next to Patrick Dempsey at the Beverly Hills Hotel for lunch yesterday!!!!!!! I immediately thought of you when I heard. He said McDreamy was funny, super normal and even hotter in real life! Sigh.

(I wish you had general comments so I didn't have to put this here, but where else?)

 
At April 05, 2006 1:04 PM, Blogger Toya said...

OMG!!!! You should have put it on one of my "Grey's Anatomy" posts! But whatever! I am so jealous of your friend!!! (sigh)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home