The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Amy and Ericka's Questions - Answered

From Amy: How did you start with bellydance? How did you end up in a tribal class? What do you see in your bellydance future? Thanks for the questions, Amy! As far back as I can remember, I've been fascinated by the "idea" of bellydance - I didn't really know what it was, but I understood that it was sexy and mysterious and beautiful, and I wanted to be all those things. I never got up the nerve to find a class and start taking lessons until I was pregnant with Sarai. While I was pregnant, I became really afraid that I would somehow become "Mommy" and lose everything that made me Toya. I made some decisions about things I wanted to pursue after I gave birth and bellydance was one of them. Coincidentally, when I returned to work after maternity leave, the fitness center at work was offering a bellydance class. I signed up for the class and loved it from the very beginning. After a few classes, the teacher decided that I had some natural talent and invited me to come to her regular classes in Columbia. I started taking her classes and eventually joined her troupe. After about a year, I moved on to Lotus' classes. While I was in my first teacher's class (she's an American Cabaret style dancer), she did several video sessions, educating us on the different styles of bellydance. She showed us videos of both urban tribal (e.g. Rachel Brice n'em) and ATS (I think it was FatChanceBellydance). I was intrigued by the costumes, of course, but also about the totally different feel of those types of dance - the slinky snakiness of urban tribal and the pop-lock influences and the woman power and earthiness of ATS. I really enjoyed (and still do!) being able to express my sexy, flirty self by dancing cabaret style, but wanted to explore the other parts of my feminine power and decided to pursue tribal style, as well. Unfortunately, my teacher didn't know any tribal teachers (since they're few and far between in the Baltimore area, unfortunately), so I was pretty much on my own. I joined Tribe and asked around there and somebody (I don't remember who - it could have been you for all I know!) suggested Lisa. Coincidentally (actually I don't believe in coincidences, but anyway) a co-worker taught at the Avalon Dance Studio (she teaches swing) and mentioned that she'd taken a session on tribal bellydance there. They turned out to be one and the same class! I figured that was a sign and joined up. And you know the rest. I'm not sure where I see my bellydance path taking me. I do know that I have a passion for it and want to pursue it with all my might. I would love to be able to continue to study and perform both Lebanese and Egyptian style, as well as ATS/tribal fusion. I know it would be hard to do both on a professional level, so I'm not sure how I'll reconcile that. But, for now, I'm not a professional dancer, so I don't have to worry. Should I go in that direction, then I'll make some decisions. From Ericka: Can you and I be roommates again? Oh, Poopie! You know I would love to - but I'm not sure how our respective men would feel about it. Hee!

2 Comments:

At April 19, 2006 11:07 PM, Blogger Ericka said...

LOL!

 
At April 21, 2006 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh Question Time! I have a question:

When did you know that you wanted to be a mommy? Do you find that your overall personality changed at all/did you have to change anything to be a mom?

your friend in bootyShakin,
Brooke

 

Post a Comment

<< Home