The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Nervous, y'all.

Tonight, in Lotus' Advanced Lebanese Technique class, I will have to dance to my own choreography for the first time. She's only requiring a short piece - less than 3 minutes, but I am freaking all the way out. I feel comfortable dancing to someone else's choreography - I like being able to add some of "Toya" to the steps that someone else lays out. But interpreting the music for myself and performing that composition is wracking my nerves. Not because I don't think I'm capable of choreography - I know that I'm not fabulous at it, but Lotus gave some great tips in the Lavish Layers workshop I took on Sunday, and I think I'm a good learner - but because it exposes me in a different way. Now, not only will someone be able to say, "I don't think she's a great dancer," they'll also be able to say, "She's not even hearing the music right." Or something equally derogatory. Of course, I know that none of my fellow students will say that in class and neither will Lotus. But maybe they'll think it. Anyway, I'm nervous, y'all. Pray for me.

4 Comments:

At March 15, 2006 2:01 PM, Blogger Cinthia said...

Will you have to improvise as you go or do you have a choreography of your own prepared already? Improv scares the hell out of me. But if I've got a choreography prepared ahead of time that I've rehearsed to death, I can sort of survive.

Good luck! Whatever happens, just wing it and keep a smile on your face. You should be fine! :)

 
At March 15, 2006 2:52 PM, Blogger Toya said...

Well, we're supposed to have a choreography, which I do - but, I'm not all that confident in it yet, since this is my first time choreographing anything. Thankfully, I really love the song, so if I forget the choreo and have to improvise, I should be okay.

 
At March 15, 2006 11:57 PM, Blogger Tonyette said...

I know you did fantastically, but tell us, how did things go?

 
At March 16, 2006 8:48 AM, Anonymous Mel said...

Yes, spill!!!! Don't keep us in suspense for too long! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home