The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy Valentine's Day!

Today is Valentine's Day, Folks, and I am inspired by the always fabulous Lucy to write this ode of love to my husband (who might not even read it, since he's not that "into" blogs, but I'll read it to him): Vic, Today is our fifth Valentine's Day together. Five years of love and laughter, but also the occasional tears and trauma. Little did I know when I met you five years ago (January 10, 2001, to be exact), how far we would come together. It's funny how I never believed in love at first sight until I met you. You told me that night that you loved me the minute you laid eyes on me (or, at least, the minute you laid eyes on "the girls" in my tight sweater) and that you knew that you would marry me. I thought that you were a weirdo, but a cute one, nonetheless, not to mention a great kisser. I was impressed with your sense of humor and your confidence - not many men would have been able to laugh at being called "potentially ugly" and offer to stand under a streetlight for my inspection. I thank GOD that you aren't ugly. (HA!) I have given you so much grief over these years, haven't I, Boob? And yet ... you stick with me. You hang in there every day - giving me respect and encouragement and patience when I've even lost patience with myself. You cook for us when I've fallen into lazy mode. You rub my feet when I dance the night away in sex-kitten heels. You change our daughter's pull-up in the mornings, so I can put on my make-up. You buy my tampons. You call me your little Afro Mama. You sing off-key and dance me around our living room, even though you're too self-conscious to dance in public. You buy me $700 bellydance dresses, though you couldn't care less about bellydance. It's these things that make me love you - not grand gestures of romance, but small symbols of your tender care - the actions that show me that you "see" me, that you "hear" me, that you "know" me. These are the things that I think about when I think of you. And I hope that when you think of me, you think of my scratching your back when it itches; rubbing ointment on your aches and pains; letting you use my lotion when you run out; remembering that you don't like nuts in your cookies; knowing exactly what cologne to buy you; picking up your clothes from the dry cleaners; telling you everyday that you look yummy. These are the gestures that mean "I love you". And I do ... I love you every day and in every way. I could not have picked a better man to be Sarai's dad. And it's definitely not a hardship to have to sleep with you - literally and figuratively. You have earned my respect over and over again - and that's hard to do. For all that you do and for all that you are - I love you. Please remember that the next time I do something that gets on your nerves. Toya

2 Comments:

At February 15, 2006 11:38 AM, Blogger Rhinestone Cowgirl said...

This is amazingly sweet. I'm so feeling the love this week. :)

 
At February 15, 2006 11:39 AM, Blogger Rhinestone Cowgirl said...

Oh - and WORD, on the small gestures that say you know the person. They mean so much more than a box of chocolates and a dozen roses.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home