The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Monday, January 09, 2006

Men are babies (and I say that in the most loving and respectful way possible)

Yes, I am including my husband in the above-mentioned men=babies category. This morning, I woke up with a raging headache. I said, "Babe, I have a raging headache." His reply? Not, "Oh, I'm sorry, you want me to get you some Excedrin?" or "Poor baby." Or "What can I do to make you feel better?" or anything like that. His reply was, "Yeah, I'm feeling bad, too. My stomach is really giving me a fit." Now, normally, that would be okay. But, you know what? That is a pattern with him. He was not looking sick, y'all. He looked perfectly chipper - it was 6 AM, he had already been in and out of the shower and was halfway dressed. That never happens, do you hear me? Never. Yet, he supposedly has an awful stomachache. Uh huh. Right. I'm getting the feeling that he just doesn't want me to be the only one sick. As if that means that I'm getting sole attention or something. Like when I was pregnant. Whenever I was hurling my guts out or exhausted or just feeling generally pregnant, which, in my case = terminally gross - he always had a malady that at least equalled, if not topped, mine. Yeah, I get that sometimes the men experience sympathy pains. But, you know what? Sympathy pains are not on par with actually being pregnant, no matter what men say. So, you know? I'd like to be the only one sick for once. And I think I'll tell him that. In a loving and respectful way, of course.

3 Comments:

At January 09, 2006 2:20 PM, Anonymous koz said...

Ohhh, he has the DeFord syndrome. It drives Kara mad!

 
At January 09, 2006 4:32 PM, Blogger Tonyette said...

Men ARE babies! When they are "really" sick, they become incapacitated! Women can be sick or pregnant or having really bad PMS symptoms or JUST WHATEVER and still function at an almost normal capacity! Yes, Toya, stand up for women everyone! DEMAND to be sick and allowed to wallow in italone for just once!

 
At January 10, 2006 2:01 PM, Anonymous Meloni said...

Wow, is your hubby going through his "time of the month" again? Mine has been acting awfully goofy lately, and I think it just might be that male-PMS thing! I can't think of any other explanation. Last time you blogged about it, our men were cycling together, so I'm wondering if they always do. Let's keep track!

P.S. - I hope you feel better!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home