The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

No turning back!

It's done. I have submitted my Performers' Form for Lotus' big show. I am officially a solo performer. My GOD. I think I may be feeling the beginnings of a panic attack. I am so terrified . . . and so proud of myself. I am doing it. I am swallowing my fear (and my pride, I think) and walking (slinking sexily, actually - wait 'til you see it) onto a stage . . . by myself. And dancing. In heels. With a veil (that I'm praying doesn't get wrapped around my head). (Okay, Toya . . . deep breaths.) Monday, Na'lani reminded me that, when I dance, I need to "assume" my persona. I need to become Makeda. I think that'll help me. Makeda Maysá is much sexier, more confident, and glamorous than Toya is on a regular day. So, I will become her. And, hopefully, "she" will take over and not allow me to freak out. I'm so happy to have this opportunity. I know it doesn't make me a professional or anything and, believe me, you won't see me flitting through your nearest Middle Eastern restaurant anytime soon. But it the next step. I have gone from once-a-week student to several-times-a-week to troupe performer to solo performer. Growth. And, however small this step may be . . . I'm really proud of it.

8 Comments:

At November 16, 2005 5:19 PM, Blogger Tonyette said...

I'm very proud of you, too, Toyota! Ok, when is the performance again? and PLEASE don't say Dec. 4 because if so, once AGAIN I can't make it!
PS Can you tell I'm BLOG-addicted?!

 
At November 16, 2005 5:26 PM, Blogger Toya said...

Lotus' show is December 17th.

 
At November 16, 2005 11:54 PM, Blogger Ericka said...

Congratulations!

 
At November 17, 2005 9:12 AM, Blogger Zahiya said...

yipppeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At November 17, 2005 10:09 AM, Anonymous koz said...

When? WHAT TIME, woman?!
I'm carving it in stone right now.

 
At November 17, 2005 10:59 AM, Blogger Toya said...

The show starts at 7:30 PM. For tickets, visit www.elmishaalbellydance.com.

 
At November 17, 2005 11:24 AM, Anonymous Mel said...

Okay, who is recording it so that I can see, too??? PLEASE tell me they allow video recordings of performances!

 
At November 17, 2005 1:42 PM, Anonymous rachel said...

Yes, I want to see video, too! I'm so excited for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home