The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Sunday, October 02, 2005

My first Five Seasons Hafla!

Let me just start this post off with saying . . . Mapquest sucks! I got Mapquest directions to the Five Seasons and they looked pretty straightforward, so I left the house with a half hour to spare, convinced that it would be more than enough time. Yeah . . . no. By following Mapquest directions, I got hopelessly lost and wound up taking an hour to get there. Thank GOD for my grandmother - I had to call her and ask her how to get there! She told me that North Avenue runs directly into Guilford Avenue, which it does, and that tidbit allowed me to get there in no time flat. Darn Mapquest! Why didn't it just tell me about North Avenue??? Anyway, I got there before the show started and was able to calm my nerves before we had to dance. I'm not sure what I expected the Five Seasons to be like, but whatever I expected, it didn't disappoint. It's kinda small, but I liked it there. The vibe was right. Maybe because it was filled with bellydancers and bellydance enthusiasts. The lovely Na'lani Dahlal is now the hostess of First Sundays, while the regular hostess is on maternity leave. She did a great job. I wish I could have seen her dance, since she's always fab, but I was backstage with the rest of Zahiya Tribal. We were fourth on the roster and off we went. It was a blast! Lisa told us to make lots of noise and we did! And our enthusiasm got the spectators into it, too. It was really cool to look out into the audience and see some people I recognized - some from classes with Lotus, some from other events. It made me feel that I'm starting to become a part of the "community", which was really nice. And the looks on their faces were all encouraging, which was awesome. I had a great time and the rest of the girls did, too. The highlight of the night, aside from dancing with Zahiya Tribal and zaghareeting for Lisa Zahiya as she popped and locked her way to greatness, was getting to witness Lucy dance in person. It was my first time seeing her dance, other than her videos on her website. She was all that I expected her to be - fun, lively, engaging and beautiful to behold. She's one of those dancers you can't even properly envy - she seems way too nice and exudes way too much joy when she dances for one to hate on her. Darnit! LOL! So, all in all, a great night and one to remember. I cannot wait until December - my first solo! Being there tonight gave me a thrill. I was able to imagine what it'll be like when I solo. I know for sure that I'll be nervous, but I also know that I'll be fine. I really think that I'll be supported and encouraged by the crowd. I'm looking forward to November - Moor Hips, Samira Shuruk and Lotus Niraja!!!! That'll be a sight to see!

4 Comments:

At October 03, 2005 12:54 AM, Blogger Tonyette said...

Glad to hear that things went so well! Because I'm a SUCKA, I forgot! (didn't put the reminder in my PDA. that's what happened!) when is the solo in Dec.? I am determined to see you dance!

 
At October 03, 2005 9:11 AM, Blogger Rhinestone Cowgirl said...

Wow... very kind words! thank you! And I'm glad you can't hate on me, lol.... :)

You guys did a SUPER job and I was so happy for all of you - I've known Lisa for a few years and I was so proud of what she's done. And her popping and locking were, indeed, incredible!

I was happy to get to meet you at last... if nothing else, I'll see you at Lotus's show in December.

 
At October 03, 2005 12:41 PM, Anonymous rachel said...

sounds so awesome! I can't wait to see the pics. Keep me posted when you have your NYC debut. ;)

 
At October 03, 2005 10:44 PM, Anonymous Ericka said...

I'm so glad you had a great time. Your love for dance is so inspiring. I'll do it one day...you know, so I can have my "Music Makes Me Lose Control" solo. One day... Congrats, girl!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home