The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Wondering . . .

Why isn't it okay to meet someone's eyes in an elevator? It's not like we're standing at the urinals, for pete's sake! (I hear from Vic that everyone looks straight ahead in the men's room - no eye contact and definitely no eye-on-ween contact.) I've tried to strike up conversations with people in elevators before and 8 out of 10 of them act like they've suddenly forgotten the English language. Is it something about elevator air that sucks all language knowledge out of your brain and I'm just immune to it? Or is it that I'm gaining a reputation as "Crazy Elevator Lady", that short Black chick who tries to make you talk to her?

5 Comments:

At September 08, 2005 1:13 PM, Anonymous Punky said...

HA! I thought I was the only one who experienced that Toya. I don't know why people don't talk in elevators. Maybe I'm too friendly, I don't know. And another thing that gets me is when people only have something to say to you when you're talking to someone else. Like here at SSA, if I'm talking to my co-worker, some people will interrupt my conversation and just start talking to me. How rude! But yet if we're in the elevator and I say, "Oh, Hi. How are you?" All they can do is nod their head. What's up with that?!

 
At September 08, 2005 3:08 PM, Anonymous tonyette said...

I agree, ladies! and the funny part is that I don't even consider myself ALL that friendly! Yet, even I am willing to talk in elevators! But I'm usually the only one! Now, Punky, we BOTH know that SSA is a very special place to work. They only hire you if you are rude, ignorant or special! (oh, or if you are equipped to deal with the aforementioned types of people!)

 
At September 12, 2005 8:34 AM, Anonymous koz said...

We were assigned to turn and face people or the rear wall during elevator rides for one week in a communications class. Sucked! Not that I did it for a week.

But I think you may have some elevator issues. Smells... Talking... Anything else you're harboring? Desire to have sex in? Maybe you should see someone about that.

 
At September 12, 2005 8:39 AM, Anonymous koz said...

I think the fourth card down on PostSecret this week is yours! :)

 
At September 13, 2005 7:29 AM, Blogger Toya said...

I can truthfully say that I don't have a desire to have sex in an elevator. However, Koz is right - I do dance in vacant elevators. I sing sometimes, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home