The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Monday, September 19, 2005

Suhaila in D.C.

On Saturday, I went to see my bellydance idol, Suhaila, perform. (Okay, GOD, I know having an idol is sinful. But I swear, I don't worship her or anything! I'm just an ardent admirer. Besides, you've seen the way she can make her entire body vibrate when she dances! You gotta love that. And she can make her butt cheeks individually lift clear off the floor! Come on!) It was beyond wonderful. I sat in the third row. I was astounded by the command she has over the muscles of her body. I mean, I don't love all of Suhaila's choreographies, but no one can argue that she is masterful and powerful when she dances. It's like, sheer perfection. I was in awe. The only thing that would have made the night better was getting to meet her. I was bummed that she didn't come out after the show. Oh, well. I hear tell that she'll be back in DC in April to teach a Level 1 Certification class. I think I'll be able to work up my nerve to take it. I bought her Sheherazade DVD and Sarai and I started watching it last night. I was kinda irked that it had some of the same choreographies as her Bellydance Performance DVD and Bal Anat tape, but hey. At least they were good choreographies, so I didn't mind watching them again. In addition to the stellar Suhaila Salimpour, my teacher, Lotus Niraja also performed. She was hot as fire! Whoo!!! There were people to my right and left murmuring, "Who is she? She's amazing!" Of course, I piped up with, "Her name is Lotus Niraja. She's my teacher. Isn't she gorgeous???" I totally took credit for her fabulousness. Ha! Honorable mention goes to Ebony, who danced to Akon's "Bellydancer." I've always hated that song, but seeing her dance to it made me change my mind. She was great! I would love to take a workshop with her one day - unfortunately, the one she has coming up in October is already full. One day, though. I'm sad that Lucy was too ill to attend. I really wanted to see her dance. I hope you feel better today, Lucy!

4 Comments:

At September 20, 2005 1:17 PM, Anonymous Rachel said...

I'm so glad you went and had fun! I'm disappointed you didn't camp out by the stage door afterwards and stalk her back to her hotel. That's pretty amazing about her buttcheeks. I will have to check it out.

 
At September 20, 2005 1:30 PM, Blogger Toya said...

You totally have to see it to believe it! We drill them in my tribal classes and it's way harder than it looks!

 
At September 20, 2005 3:27 PM, Blogger Tonyette said...

It doesn't even SOUND easy! I'm sure it's AMAZING to see!!

 
At September 21, 2005 6:55 AM, Blogger Toya said...

Next time you get to come over, Tonyette, I'll show you one of Suhaila's DVDs. You have to see it to believe it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home