The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Friday, September 23, 2005

Preparation for the Five Seasons

This past Tuesday, I had my first private lesson with Na'lani Dahlal. She's amazing - such a fun, nice girl and so good at dancing! I'm really excited to explore this teacher/student relationship - I really think she's going to be helpful at giving me the little extra oomph it takes to be a great performer. Right now, I'm in the process of choreographing my first piece (with help from Na'lani!). I'll be using it for my first solo dance at the Five Seasons in December. I'm also going to do a short drum solo choreography. This process has been the funnest thing ever! Listening to the song over and over, allowing my body to find the rhythms and patterns, interpreting the song into movement . . . I am over the moon with happiness! As nervous as I am (and I am quite nervous), I am equally excited to share the joy I've found in bellydance - I can't wait to show my family and friends that this is why I'm in classes 4 nights a week; this is why you catch me shimmying in front of the stove; this is why I dance. I know that quite a few of my Christian friends and family members have raised an eyebrow at the idea that I bellydance. But, what I would like to offer them is this: everything is not sin. As the Bible says, "The earth is the LORD's and the fullness thereof." Everything was made for and by His pleasure. It is not sinful to dance. In fact, my dancing is an outward expression of my inward praise. Knowing that this body that He has given me can move in a way that can evoke emotion from others; that I can move myself emotionally is such a gift. Everyone should find that which makes her/him feel special and right. And this is it for me. And I believe GOD is pleased.

4 Comments:

At September 23, 2005 10:10 AM, Anonymous Mel said...

Amen, lady! Did you ever have that conversation with your pastor?

 
At September 23, 2005 10:24 AM, Blogger Toya said...

Nope, I sure didn't. I'm still debating that one - is it worth it for me to confront him about that? Is it really my duty to educate the pastor? Besides which, I'm not sure that I've yet gotten to the point that I can do it without too much emotion.

 
At September 23, 2005 10:57 AM, Blogger Tonyette said...

Ok, first, THANKS for the link to my blog! Whoo hoo! Secondly, YES, everything is NOT a sin! Too often, even Christians forget that dancing in the Bible is mentioned as celebration, warfare and even praise! (as part of a dance ministry, i've had to look up scriptures that reference dance many times) and I don't recall ONE that made dancing seem sinful!

 
At September 23, 2005 10:50 PM, Anonymous Kim said...

May I ask what your pastor said about dancing?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home