The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The Cult of Hairlessness, Part 2: The String's the Thing

Okay, so I'm continuing in my pursuit of all things hair removal-related. This past Saturday, I decided to try threading. I've been hearing about threading for the past year or so, how it's the "new thing" in hair removal. Of course, I know it's not a new technique, but it's just newly become the thing to do. I'd never tried it, though, because I didn't know of any places in Baltimore where one could have it done. But that has changed. A couple weeks ago, my aunts Cheryl and Lynette went to have their eyebrows threaded. Aunt Cheryl's report was favorable - she was flabbergasted by how beautiful her brows were and said that the pain was tolerable, though she did make me laugh with the report of how tears instantly sprang from her eyes as the string rolled across. Then, I discovered that Ericka's younger sisters, Kimberly and Dione, also have their brows threaded at a salon on Harford Road - Usha's Beauty Salon. Hearing the name of the salon clenched it - I went to high school with a girl named Usha and I remember her being attractive and not particularly hairy. Sounds good, right? So, off I went to Usha's with Ericka in tow. Poopie declined to be threaded herself - she'd done it once and found it to be too painful for a repeat performance. I figured, how bad could it be? I've given birth, right? So, down I sat. It immediately became apparent to Usha that I was a newbie to this threading business, as I had no idea that I was expected to hold my forehead and eyelid taut while she de-haired me. But, after she gave me a few firm tugs and pats on my hands and showed me what to do, I was ready. And away she went. I could actually feel each hair being ripped from my skin. But, you know what? It wasn't bad. No worse, pain-wise, than waxing. And wax gives me whiteheads, which means it isn't a viable option for me. After it was all over, Usha gave me a nice forehead and brow massage and that was that. When I looked in the rearview mirror in my car, I was amazed. My brows look perfect - not a unibrow or stray hair in sight! The only downside was that my skin started to bump up in the area where I'd been threaded. But I went home and put hydrocortisone on the bumps and they were gone within an hour or so. I will definitely get threaded again (that sounds nasty, doesn't it?). It was worth the minimal pain, took only a few minutes and cost only $10. I recommend it!

3 Comments:

At September 27, 2005 3:54 PM, Blogger Tonyette said...

A few of my friends and co-workers have been getting threaded for a long while. One of my co-workers said that where she goes they can do a combination of waxing and threading if you prefer (much like the "normal" waxing and plucking) and that to her the threading hurts less than plucking. I have a high tolerance for pain so I'll be pretty shocked if threading hurts me because the plucking doesn't bother me at all. Toya, I'll let you know what I think!

 
At September 28, 2005 10:35 AM, Blogger Toya said...

Cool!

 
At October 01, 2005 11:04 AM, Anonymous Mashonah said...

I may try this Toya. if you did'nt know I am a punk . I don't even have a tattoo and I'm 21 yrs. old alredy. it's very sad.I'm glad that you took the plunge. When Ericka had hers done they looked soooooo good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home