The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Monday, July 25, 2005

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater!

My mother is a foster parent (and soon to be an adoptive parent). As my grandmother says, there is a special place in heaven for my mother. As much as she and I can butt heads, I can say without reservation that I don't know of a more generous person. She has an abundant amount of love in her heart. I imagine that, as a child, she was the kind who brought home stray kittens and puppies. This morning, she and I were talking about a woman who gave birth to seven children (individually, not septuplets) and, after giving birth, each time, she left the child in the hospital. That is legal in Maryland. It's perfectly legal to abandon your child at the hospital, or a police station, or a fire station. You will not get in trouble. And you know what? In my opinion, that's wrong. Oh, I know. They're supposedly cutting down on the number of women who will abandon their child in the garbage can or something. But, really? Do you think that really works that way? I don't. That woman should have gone to jail. Plain and simple. There are now seven children in the world who have no parents because of her irresponsibility. I really pray that each of those children is now placed in a loving, secure home. That woman should be beat within an inch of her life. I hope and pray that she isn't having any more children that she'll leave like an unwanted puppy.

2 Comments:

At July 25, 2005 1:18 PM, Anonymous tonyette said...

Your mom is very loving and giving. Just likewhen she used to cart us to school! (her and Mr. William are two of the BEST!) My years at Western would have been totally different without them! About this law though, the one that "allows" abandoning your child within days of his or her birth in a "safe" place is good but ridiculous all in one! I can understand, it's "better" to leave your newborn at the hospital than it is in the Dumpster, but still, why keep having kids if you KNOW you're just going to abandon them! I feel like this, if by like child TWO, you realize "ok, I'm not really going to be good at this mother thing" MAYBE you should JUST STOP making babies! There has to be some more regulation to this rule!!!

 
At July 25, 2005 1:36 PM, Blogger Toya said...

That's exactly it! Allowing women to abandon their children without fear of repercussion just means that they continue to pop out these babies with the knowledge that they will never have to be responsible for them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home