The Life of a Ladybug

live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -mary anne radmacher

Thursday, July 14, 2005

The cult of hairlessness

Okay, as most of my friends and family know, I didn't decide to shave my legs until I was 26 years old (which basically means, a few months ago). It wasn't a huge thing - the women in my family don't shave their legs (but we do shave our pits, just so you know - looking like you have Buckwheat in a head lock is not cute) and so I was never taught to do so and it never really came up. When I met my husband, he said something about it, but when I made it clear that I didn't shave and didn't intend to, he dropped it. I had one lady at work ask me about it in the locker room of the fitness center. She actually asked me if I didn't feel dirty having hair on my legs. I gaped at her stupidly for a minute, stunned by her audacity, then had to fight the urge to slap the taste out of her mouth. When I was able to collect myself, I calmly replied that I was no dirtier than her husband. That ended that conversation. Anyway, after noticing that my friends on a message board that I belong to talked frequently about shaving/waxing/other methods of hair extinction, I decided that I'd give it a try, just to see what all the hoopla was about. And, you know what? I like it. It's the weirdest thing ever. I started with the bikini area and that was fun - for me and my husband. Then, I decided to try the legs. When I felt how smooth and baby-butt soft they felt when I lotioned them, I was hooked. And now, I can't stop! It's ridiculous! I know in my mind that I won't die if I allow my legs to become hairy again. Hair-free legs are not a necessity. But I want them. I want baby-butt legs! It's like I've been sucked in to this cult of hairlessness. I will be seriously depressed if I run out of razors and shaving cream. Oh, no - depression! Where are my vitamins???

2 Comments:

At July 15, 2005 2:08 PM, Anonymous Tonyette said...

I TOTALLY know the feeling. No one in my family, except my sister, shaves her legs. So for years, I didn't even think to do it. In fact, no one I knew did it and I considered it a "white girl thing." But I decided to do it when I was 24, so like 2 years ago, and MAN, I'm hooked. just like you said, that first time I oiled them without hair, I was hooked. Now, whenever they are freshly hairless, I find myself randomly caressing them throughout the day!

 
At July 15, 2005 2:11 PM, Blogger Toya said...

Yes! I do that, too! I just find myself absent-mindedly rubbing them when they're freshly shaved. It's sad!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home